Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fighting Until The Finish

Everybody wants to be happy, right?

Nobody becomes a Christian out of a desire to face hardships and difficulties. At least, most of us don't. We seek after peace and the love of the Lord, eternal life, salvation for our brothers and sisters; and joy to fill our days.

Yet often, we are faced with trials and tribulations of many sorts. Seems like that is where the biggest struggle comes along. Whether it is financial difficulty, sickness, relationship problems, conflicts at work, you name it- we all struggle sooner or later. The longer that the trial drags on, the more disheartened and drained we become. So what is the solution?

PRAY.

But one prayer is not the answer. One prayer is not the end.

I hear sooo many people tell me, "But I prayed to God and asked Him for [insert need or request] and He didn't answer me. What am I supposed to do now? I guess He didn't hear me if nothing happened. What if I'm in this situation forever?

Somehow we have limited God to some sort of magician. He's not Harry Houdini. There is an implicit expecation that as soon as we pray once, BAM. An angel flies down from heaven with confirmation, or the answer manifests itself immediately. But if there is anything I have learned about the Lord is that He honors perseverance. If you are willing to put in the work and persistently seek after Him, He will always answer you and bless you. Hebrews 11:6 says that He is a rewarder of those who DILIGENTLY seek Him, not just those who pray a couple of times when the going gets tough. Establish a routine and a relationship with Him, and you will surely see His hand. Why else would Jesus teach His disciples to pray and never give up? (Luke 18:1-8) From verses 7-8: "And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly..."

Whatever situation you are facing or trial you are going through, I would encourage you not to give up hope, but to continue diligently pressing on in praise and in prayer. Keep fighting until you win the victory. Isaiah 62:7 admonishes us to "Give the Lord no rest until He completes His work, until He makes Jerusalem the pride of the earth." Stand firm and continue to contend for your deliverance. Then, when you receive it, God will be given the glory for pulling you out of the situation. Let your circumstance be an inspiration for others to press into THEIR faith and receive the promise that God has for them. But they will never know what to do unless they see the example in God's elect. Keep fighting so that God's name might be glorified in your life.

Psalm 55:16-18 "As for me, I call to God, and the Lord saves me. Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. He rescues me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me."

No comments:

Post a Comment