"I'm TIRED of being preached at..." It's the statement I hear from both Christians & non-Christians all the time. And unfortunately, it is a phrase that I myself have adopted in the past couple of years. I'm sure my mother has heard me say it a thousand times, "I'm tired of people talking at me instead of talking to me. I'm tired of being preached instead of ministered to." And as I've been mulling it over the past couple of months, God has showed me that this statement speaks volumes about the condition of the church, and the way in which we minister to people. I am persuaded that this is one of the reasons why we lose a lot of members of the church. Especially when they face times of crisis.
Philippians 2:5 tells us that our attitude should be the same as that of Christ. That includes the way that we approach people who are suffering. Yet somehow we have become so caught up in scripture memorization and theology that we neglect to look at how JESUS approached those in need. I've expressed my distaste for Isaiah 53:5 on more than one occasion. Every minister, pastor or lay person who comes across me in my current condition pumps that verse into me like you pump air into a bicycle tire. "By His stripes you WERE healed Vera. You're already healed Vee. The healing is already finished Vera..." Now don't get me wrong, I believe it wholeheartedly and claim it as truth, but after six years of hearing it incessantly it just doesn't always have the same power anymore. Starting to sound like a broken record. Yet somehow we have begun to equate "Bible-thumping" with ministry.
Some people literally spit verses at me like their lives depend on it. "You should be encouraged because Isaiah 53:5 says by His stripes we were already healed and Job 22:28 says we should decree a thing and it shall be established so decree healing because we live by faith and not by sight and Romans 10 says anyone who calls on the Lord will never be put to shame so run to the Lord because Proverbs 18:10 says the name of the Lord is a strong tower and the righteous run into it and they are safe.
Sad thing is, that's NOT an exaggeration. So you know some memory verses. That's all fine and dandy, but it won't do much for somebody who is struggling with their FAITH.
JESUS did not stand up at pulpits and simply regurgitate verses from Scripture. (Although we all know that He knew them.) He got on people's level and spoke to them, figuring out where their faith was FIRST. THEN He met them at their point of need. Faith and deliverance go hand in hand, but you cannot address what needs to be delivered until you minister to a person's faith.
Was talking with my Uncle the other day and he referenced the story in Mark 9:17-29 where the father of the demon possessed boy came to the disciples for deliverance. JESUS could have easily snapped His fingers and healed the boy, but He in His divine wisdom took a moment to speak to the father and address the dad's faith. At one point, the father begs Jesus, "If you can, please heal my son!" Once again, JESUS could have acted first and discussed things with the father later. But He paused. "IF? Anything is possible to them that believe." The father then cried out, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" It was then, after addressing the man's faith, that deliverance came to pass.
We have heard the story of the woman with the issue of blood. One account is found in Matthew 9 and another in Luke 8:43-48. Now this woman had an indomitable faith. After 12 years of suffering, she didn't have much of a reason to believe that she would be healed. No doctor, no priest, and no treatment bore any good fruit. But still she reached out and touched the Master's robe. When Jesus addressed her before everyone, He announced, "Daughter, your FAITH has made you well; go in peace." So you see how essential faith is before deliverance can occur?
In Matthew 9:27-31 is a story of blind men following Jesus, pleading for Him to have mercy on them. Jesus could have spoken a word without turning around. He could have referenced Scriptures and prophecies about healing. But instead, Jesus stopped and asked them if they REALLY believed that He could make them see. When they agreed, He touched their eyes and told them that healing would come to pass because of their faith. And, of course, the men received their deliverance.
Perhaps we should keep Jesus' model in mind as we encourage and minister to one another. Yes we are called to intercede, lay hands on the sick, fast & pray, and share the gospel; but none of this will bear fruit if the person lacks -or is struggling with- their faith.
Just as Jesus shared in the parable of the sower (Matthew 13), we need to ensure that the seeds we sow will bear good fruit. But rather than insisting that people "just have faith" and take us at our word, maybe we out to take a few minutes and find out WHY the soil of their heart isn't fertile. Maybe their faith has always been shallow; not grounded in sound doctrine. Maybe they have had so many rocks thrown at them, and held on to so much pain, that they're weighed down and struggling to find faith.
Whatever the case may be, as ministers of the gospel we've got to stop preaching AT people and start talking TO them. Working WITH them. LISTENING.
Whatever the case may be, as ministers of the gospel we've got to stop preaching AT people and start talking TO them. Working WITH them. LISTENING.
A doctor can't prescribe the right medication if they don't know the details of the ailment. In the same manner, you can't effectively use Scripture to minister to someone if you don't know the root cause of their problems.
I'll end with this. A friend of mine used to quote Isaiah 41:10 all the time, constantly reminding me not to be afraid. "God is with you. Don't be afraid of the disease, don't be discouraged, etc." One day I sent him a picture from the hospital where the upper half of my body was completely covered by wires. I remember him telling me how much it scared him to see me that way. I laughed and told him that I almost never get scared. Needles, biopsies, scans & surgeries don't faze me anymore.
He asked me, "So you've been meditating on the verse I sent you?"
"Nope. James 1:12. "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial...."n
His face contorts in confusion. "I didn't know that perseverance was what you were really struggling with."
“That's because you never asked."
He asked me, "So you've been meditating on the verse I sent you?"
"Nope. James 1:12. "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial...."n
His face contorts in confusion. "I didn't know that perseverance was what you were really struggling with."
“That's because you never asked."
No comments:
Post a Comment